BRAT is the recommended diet for people who are experiencing vomiting and especially diarrhea. This diet will include foods that are low in protein, fat, and fiber that are easy to digest. The foods chosen to be included in the BRAT diet are simple and appear in a lot of people’s lives. To get delicious dishes made from this diet, everyone needs to refer to brat diet recipes. In the article shared below, Kerri Ann Jennings will help people gain important knowledge about this diet.
What does BRAT mean?
When a person’s stomach changes causing vomiting or diarrhea, the general practitioner will give the patient instructions to eat light foods. Even bland foods so as not to irritate the stomach after healing.
If this is the case, people can also identify foods to follow through the BRAT diet. BRAT is an abbreviation for a type of diet that is very popular today. It is formed including the first letters of the essential nutrients for the body as follows: Bananas, Rice, Apple puree, Toast.
Bananas are one of the best foods to eat when people have stomach problems. The reason is that the composition of bananas contains a lot of potassium, which helps to replace lost nutrients. At the same time, this fruit also helps restore your energy levels after you have vomiting or diarrhea.
For this type of food, it is best for people to eat when the banana is in a normal state and not too ripe so it will be easier to digest. Besides, if you don’t want to eat the whole fruit, try mixing bananas into a smoothie. Then freeze the smoothie and enjoy as a sweet, cool and creamy treat. Once frozen, you can eat it as usual or mash up your smoothie on dry toast, learn more about smoothie for constipation to get more ideas.
Related: Check out this Chia Banana Boost (Max) Tropical Smoothie Copycat Recipe for more tasty
Rice is always very good for the body in everyday meals so it is a great choice when you start eating food after an upset stomach. Rice will be able to provide each person with a good source of carbohydrates for energy to help the body feel more alive.
If you want to eat rice that is easiest for your digestive system to digest, choose white rice, rather than brown or black rice which has a harder, fibrous ‘shell’ that can irritate a sensitive stomach. While cooking, it is recommended to cook a little longer than usual, because the softer you cook, the easier it will be to eat.
A: Apple puree
When the stomach has problems, you can consider adding more apples. This is a great snack choice when you’re starting to reintroduce solid foods into your diet after being sick.
According to studies, apples are a gentle source of vitamins, minerals and fiber, which when stewed and mixed up can be very light on the stomach. It will give your body a little bit of natural sweetness to keep your energy levels up while your body recovers. People can absolutely puree their own apple or buy it packaged in all the good supermarkets.
Bread will also need to be selective, not all types of bread can be eaten. Especially don’t choose a slice of your coffee shop’s best cinnamon raisin bread with a generous dose of butter. When your body is healthier, you will definitely want to eat this dish right away. Instead, eat plain toasted white or brown bread, avoiding anything with added nuts for easier digestion.
When you’re ready to start reintroducing the coating, keep it light and avoid anything too fatty like butter, margarine, or butter. Light fruit spreads, jams and preserves can be easier on your tummy.
Read more: What to eat on diet plan for constipation to help you poop?
When to avoid the BRAT diet?
You should limit solid foods like apples and bananas on your BRAT diet when you have persistent vomiting or diarrhea. Instead, absorb liquid foods for easy absorption by the body and use replenishing electrolyte drink to avoid dehydration during this time.
How long should you be on BRAT diet?
Neither adults nor children should follow the diet because it is low in essential fiber and can make you malnourished.
Once vomiting or diarrhoea has subsided, you can stop the BRAT diet after 24-48 hours have passed and gradually resume a normal or regular diet.
6 BRAT diet recipes you should try
With this healthy diet, people can also add tea and yogurt to these foods. Because these foods also have the ability to help stomach ailments and diarrhea pass faster. The BRAT diet will also work for women who experience nausea in the early months of pregnancy. Pregnant women who want to follow this diet should talk to their doctor.
One thing everyone should also know is that the main goal of the BRAT diet is not weight loss. It helps people find solutions to their health problems with a healthy diet.
When eating, you experience problems such as vomiting and diarrhea, feel extremely uncomfortable, this diet aims to quickly restore the amount of water and minerals that you have lost. When you have a stomach or intestinal disease then it will be necessary to eat natural and suitable foods so that the harm to your stomach will not get worse.
There are also foods that people should not consume while on the BRAT diet. These are caffeinated beverages, alcohol, milk, carbonated mixes, and processed foods. When starting to follow a diet, the main goal is not to lose weight but to regain your health, so stop the diet after the discomfort is gone.
Processed foods can be found on the market under the name of the BRAT diet. However, try not to consume these products. The healthiest thing is to prepare meals at home from foods that you know the ingredients for. Here are BRAT diet recipes that you can make at home:
Banana ice cream (1 serving)
- Calories: 210
- Net carbs: 54g
- Total fat: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- 2 bananas
- Ice cream combined with bananas will become a delicious and extremely simple diet. You just need to use 2 prepared bananas and put them in a blender to blend.
- Once the smoothie is done, just stir it until it becomes creamy and solid. When you’re done, you’ve got delicious banana ice cream that’s perfect for the BRAT diet.
Banana bread (4 servings)
- Calories: 525
- Net carbs: 116g
- Total fat: 3g
- Protein: 9g
- Rice flour: 2 cups
- Banana: 5, mashed
- Apple sauce: half a cup
- Maple sugar: 1/4 cup
- Baking soda: half a teaspoon
- Salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- Baking powder: 1 teaspoon
- 2 eggs
- First, mix all ingredients: 2 cups rice flour, 5 mashed bananas, half cup apple sauce, 1/4 cup maple sugar, half teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 eggs in a large bowl, mix them and beat well.
- Next prepare an oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Depending on the size of the oven to determine the baking time may be longer or shorter. Note to check often when putting the mixture in the oven.
BRAT Soup (5 Servings)
- Calories: 73
- Net Carb: 6g
- Total fat: 1g
- Protein: 9g
- 67.63 fl oz – 2 liters of water
- Rice: 5-6 spoons
- Greek yogurt: 1.5 cups
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- First pour 67.63 fl oz of water (about 2 quarts) into a medium saucepan. Next, add 5-6 tablespoons of rice to the pot of water and start cooking over low heat until the rice is soft.
- Take a large bowl and pour a mixture of 1.5 cups of yogurt, 1 egg, and 1 tablespoon of flour. Bring everything together and be careful not to let the dough clump together.
- Take a little water to wash the rice about 1 ladle cooked on the stove into the previous yogurt mixture and slowly add a few more ladles.
- Continue to pour the yogurt mixture in the form of thin strands over the rice that is cooking on the stove and mix well. After adding all the remaining yogurt, mix well until the mixture boils.
- If you want to enjoy the dish with a more unique flavor, you can add some dried mint and salt and continue to cook on the stove for a few more minutes. If during the cooking process you find that the mixture becomes too thick, you can add more water.
Potato Toast (1 serving)
- Calories: 280
- Net carbs: 55g
- Total fat: 2g
- Protein: 11g
- 1 medium potato
- 2 toasted wholemeal breads
- Because potatoes are low in fiber, this food is one of the basic elements of this diet. Everyone should boil the potatoes first and can add a little salt if you like.
- If you want to make it easier to eat, you can mash the potatoes after boiling. This recipe will be very good for the gut of everyone. Or boil 1 medium potato and then prepare a meal for yourself by placing it between 2 slices of toast.
Homemade Apple Sauce (1 serving)
- Calories: 189
- Net Carbs: 50g
- Total fat: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- 2 apples
- Making apple puree is one of the tastiest and simplest recipes for the BRAT diet.
- The first step is to peel the apple and remove the core.
- Cut the peeled apple into small pieces.
- Take chopped apples and cook in 2-3 tablespoons of water until the apples are soft.
- After boiling soft, start mashing the apples with juice and can add a little cinnamon if you like this flavor.
- Note that boiling fruits and vegetables with a lot of water will lose vitamins and potentially cause the puree to run out too much, so steaming is the best solution.
Egg Muffins (1 serving)
- Calories: 227
- No Carbs: 27g
- Total fat: 6g
- Protein: 17g
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- pepper flavor
- 1 wheat muffin
- Cheddar Cheese Soup 1 scoop, crumbled and low-fat
- When starting to cook, first preheat your oven to 350 F .
- Next, take a small bowl, add 1 egg and egg white together. Take a non-stick pan then spray some olive oil in the pan.
- In a saucepan, add the eggs and stir until done. Season with pepper or any dry seasoning such as oregano if added to the dish.
- Tip: Don’t overcook the eggs in the baking step, as you’ll be transferring them to the oven to cook them one more time, making it easier to dry out and overcook.
- On a wheat muffin, cut it in half and carefully transfer the egg mixture over the whole grain muffin with a spatula. Then sprinkle some shredded low-fat cheddar cheese over the egg mixture.
- Finally transfer your whole-wheat egg muffins to a flat non-stick pan and continue baking for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
BRAT is an extremely healthy diet to soothe everyone’s stomach and digestive system. But it should also be noted that this regimen does not serve the purpose of weight loss, but only helps the stomach work better. To get delicious and nutritious dishes suitable for you, you should learn more about BRAT diet recipes. The sharing in the above article will provide you with the most scientific and nutritious recipes that you can refer to to prepare yourself.
1500 Calorie Vegan Meal Plan for Weight Loss in 7 Days
Tropical Smoothie Cafe Recipes You Should Try with BRAT diet
Best Keto Smoothie for Constipation With Simple Fruits
Don’t forget to find out more Diet plans and Recipes on Kerriannjennings.com