Scientifically changing your diet is the best way to effectively lose weight. However, not everyone has the right diet plan which is suitable for their body. Currently, a liquid diet is becoming a keyword that many people search for. The below article will bring you a 30 day liquid diet weight loss plan with the most effective suitable diet to have a balanced body.
Overview of liquid diet
Liquid diets are merely what they refer to as liquids as their name suggests. This is a weight-loss method that follows a diet plan that includes getting all of your calories from drinks. In fact, there are many different types of liquid diets that you need to learn more about.
Many people who want to lose weight quickly will choose this liquid method. This means that you will have to replace all your meals with drinks to quickly lose weight. In other situations, people may need to go on a diet for medical reasons or when recovering from surgery.
In the liquid diet plans, some will allow you to replace a meal. While other plans will require you to replace all meals. Likewise, some plans will include snacks, while others will be quite limited and do not include any snacks. This is a somewhat risky decision, so before making it, ask for the support of a nutritionist and doctor.
See: How Eating 3 Meals a Day Makes Weight Loss?
How many calories do you consume in a liquid diet?
The number of calories consumed by each person can vary depending on the type of liquid diet the person chooses. According to nutritionist MedlinePlus, most people with the weight-loss need to follow a full-liquid diet aiming to consume 1350 to 1500 calories. In addition, each person’s daily protein intake goal would be at least 45 grams. (1)
A note to keep in mind is that the average woman needs about 2000 calories per day and the average man needs 2500 calories (2). Looking at these two calorie numbers, we can see a huge difference. This indicates that the number of calories consumed on a liquid diet can be quite restrictive with each person’s dietary needs.
So this method is also somewhat risky so talk to your doctor and dietitian if you consider following this diet plan for a long time. Medline Plus acknowledges that your dietitian may recommend a variety of foods to increase your calorie intake in such cases (1). Some suggestions that nutritionists can give you are as follows:
- Fat-free dry milk
- Processed meats are added to the broth
- Sugar or syrup added to various drinks
- Margarine or butter can be added to the soup
- Instant breakfast powder to add to custard dishes
- Protein powder or egg white powder can be added to different drinks
Related: 21 Day Sugar Detox Meal Prep Ideas
In addition to adding these foods to increase your calorie intake, you can adopt other specific strategies to make this diet plan more manageable, according to the nutritionists in the study (3). Some examples that people can refer to are as follows:
- Drink foods with nutritional supplements. When people follow the 30 day liquid diet weight loss plan, the likelihood of nutritional deficiencies when following this diet is quite high due to its strict limitations. To avoid these deficiencies, nutritionists will advise you to supplement. However, people also need to consult a doctor and get the doctor’s consent.
- Moisturizing. Experts also suggest people need to drink enough water instead of just drinking water whenever they feel thirsty. Remember that hydration is also essential in weight loss as it helps to suppress hunger so you need to drink more.
- Try different flavors when choosing drinks with electrolytes. In the case of drinking electrolyte drinks, you can try salty and gelatin flavors. Switching flavors from time to time will help minimize cravings.
- Follow the rules given by your doctor. If your doctor has given you rules for following this meal plan, they should be followed. The doctor is looking for the best for an upcoming surgery, make sure you follow their rules in the letter. People make the mistake of choosing to snack on fruit because it can disrupt the surgical schedule. At that time, doctors will make an inaccurate diagnosis, if the doctor is assigned to conduct an MRI scan to determine the underlying medical condition.
See: 7 Day Gout Diet Plan: What to Eat, Sample Menu and More
Do liquid diet plans help lose weight?
Liquid diet to lose weight can help people cut calorie intake everyday. Following this mechanism will create and maintain a calorie deficit for the body to effectively lose weight. However, this method of weight-loss should only be applied in a short time and cannot be prolonged, causing side effects.
According to nutritionists and doctors, this diet plan is not safe to follow for weight-loss purposes for the following reasons:
This method makes you lose weight fast
Nutritionists have acknowledged that these diets significantly cut calories in one’s body which can lead to rapid weight-loss. However, rapid weight loss is considered unhealthy as it is associated with side effects such as diarrhea, nausea, dizziness, hair loss, muscle loss and menstrual irregularities in women. Thus, when applying the method of rapid weight-loss, it can also cause electrolyte imbalance, gallstones and nutritional deficiencies. (4)
It has a lot of limitations
A liquid diet to lose weight is a very restrictive diet of any kind. Cutting too many calories in a short time will limit each person’s body to consume nutritious, healthy foods. The result everyone encounters will be the body is at risk of becoming malnourished or dangerously deficient.
This method significantly reduces the body’s metabolism
An active metabolism is the most important factor for weight-loss. Then the body will be burning calories even when you are resting without any activity. When following this weight-loss method, the liquid diet will slow down your metabolism to allow your body to conserve energy. As a result, the body will not be able to burn many calories, causing you to experience many symptoms that affect your health.
Related: What Should You Eat on Dual Efficient Metabolism Diet Plan?
You could regain weight you lost
Once they have lost some weight, people will start to change their eating and behavior back to the way they were before (1). When you do, you will most likely regain the lost weight even gaining more than the original amount. So after you stop following the liquid diet, go ahead and maintain a healthy diet. People won’t necessarily limit themselves to liquid diet foods. Instead, explore healthy diets that include both solid and liquid foods to promote long-term weight-loss.
Read more: Lose 30 Pounds In 30 Days Diet Plan
What to eat in liquid diet plans?
The 30-day liquid diet plan will outline drink choices according to a clear liquid diet. With the necessary tools, everyone will be able to prepare a variety of solid foods that fit into their diet for weight-loss. Then it can be melted, sliced, filtered or can also be chopped fruit, vegetables, cheese. If you want to eat meat, you can also help you get more nutrition by grinding with a blender.
See: The Ultimate 7 Day Vegetarian Keto Meal Plan
The table below will help you know the compliant foods that are allowed on the all-liquid diet. And unsuitable foods are not allowed because they are solid or their texture is too thick and lumpy.
|Compliant Foods||Non-Compliant Foods|
|Fruit and vegetable juice (no pulp) |
Broth Soft drinks
Sports drinks, electrolyte-replacement drinks
Milk or dairy-free alternatives (soy, almond)
Milkshakes, malts, smoothies
Clear or creamed soups (thinned, strained, no solids)
Honey, syrup, sugar
Gelatin, pudding, custard
Ice pops, ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbet (no nuts, candy, solid toppings/coatings)
Yogurt (regular or Greek; no granola, seeds, fruit chunks)
Powdered protein, dry milk, other nutritional supplements
Liquid dietary supplements (Ensure, Glucerna, Boost)
|Meat (unless puréed, thinned, and strained)|
Tofu, meat substitutes
Nuts and seeds
Raw fruits and vegetables
Soft or mashed food (e.g., potatoes)
Soups or stews with noodles, meat, or vegetables
Whole pasta or rice
Cereals, granola, oats
Potato chips, crackers, pretzels, popcorn
Muffins, cakes, cookies, pastries
Hard or chewy candy
All other solid foods that have not been approved by a health care provider are included on the menu.
- Juice: Fruit and vegetable juices are permitted foods on an all-liquid diet as long as they have been filtered to remove the solids and take in the liquid. One caveat for fruit choices is to completely avoid any high-fiber juices such as the juice of prunes. Everyone should make their own juice using a blender or high-speed juicer. This will allow you to control the thickness, when the blender is finished, filter and remove the residue to get only their water.
- Vegetables: Some foods such as mashed potatoes and other mashed vegetables would not normally be used but can be if they are mashed thin enough. To use, people should mix them with butter, gravy or sauces. Then seasoning to taste and dilute with water or broth. But it must still be noted that it should not be thicker than a smoothie.
Related: 7-Day Bone Broth Diet Plan For Weight Loss and Sample Meal Plan
- Cereals: With cereals, you need to cook and dilute with water or milk, then filter the water. Farina and rice cereal will also be easy to thin this way. If you need a nutritional supplement, prepare your cereal with whole milk or whipped cream instead of using water or skim milk.
- Milk: You can use milk to drink as long as it does not contain lactose. Then you can choose to drink it directly or add it to smoothies and shakes for more nutrition. In addition, people should also add powdered milk to cereals, soups, and eggs to increase protein.
- Yogurt and cheese: Yogurt is a very good food to have for liquid meals to make it sweeter. Greek yogurt will be suitable for more savory recipes. Cheese sticks are used to make a liquid meal, and cottage cheese melts easily when exposed to heat.
- Butter: Butter is also a finished product that you can use regularly to add calories and fat to your meals.
- Protein: Meat is also used in liquid diets as long as it has the consistency of baby food. Proceed to mix the meat with potato starch and milk before or after cooking to create a consistency suitable for liquid diets.
- Nut Butter: Nut butter is a great source of healthy fats and protein that can be easily added to shakes or smoothies.
- Eggs: Eggs, egg whites or egg substitutes can be softened and mixed into a liquid meal.
- Desserts: Ice cream, frozen yogurt, and room-temperature melted ice cubes are approved for liquid diets as long as they don’t contain nuts, candy, or other hard pieces. Puddings and custards can be diluted into a milk-like liquid. If you need extra calories, try ice cream toppings, puddings, malts or milkshakes with fruit that are thoroughly mixed with whipped cream.
- Beverages: Any clear broth, juice-free juice, or other beverage is approved under the full-liquid diet. You can use extra milkshakes to add calories to your coffee or tea. Other hot drinks such as cider, bottles, and milk-based espresso drinks are also fine as long as they don’t contain solids like chocolate flakes or seasonings.
To make sure your body is well-hydrated, try to drink at least 64 fluid ounces at the end of each day.
If you love smoothies, don’t miss our 7 day smoothie weight loss diet plan and 21 day smoothie diet
Sample of a liquid diet to lose weight
In fact, according to research by experts, liquid diet weight-loss plans include soups and broths. You can follow this one-day liquid diet example:
- Breakfast: Peanut butter and jelly yogurt bowl
- Lunch: Turkey Bean Soup (Calories-242, Carbs- 30 g, Fat- 2 g and Protein- 26 g)
- Dinner: Vegetables, lentils and stewed garbanzo beans (Calories- 287, Carbs- 41 g, Fat- 7 g and Protein- 13 g)
How much weight can you lose after taking this diet?
Losing weight is a tough challenge for everyone that requires regularity. In the minds of people, they will always look for shortcuts to lose weight the fastest. That goes to show that to anyone, hearing someone talk about a diet that promises that we can lose 10 to 20 pounds in a week. Then surely we quickly follow through without studying the consequences.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that a person lose 1-2 pounds in a week as this is a healthy range for weight loss (5). Therefore, if you try to lose more than 2 kg per week according to the liquid diet plan, you will not get the desired results. That means this diet will have serious consequences as it promotes rapid weight-loss.
In this case, you should abandon that weight-loss method and look for a healthier method. This is because this diet promotes rapid weight loss, causing more serious effects such as hair loss, muscle loss, nutritional deficiencies. The 30-day liquid diet weight loss results will be better if you do it scientifically.
Check out how this girl tried the liquid diet for 1 week
Can pregnant and breastfeeding women follow this diet plan?
It is not possible to give an exact answer to this question without expertise. For those who need to lose weight, male or female, breastfeeding or not, the best way to implement a safe diet plan is to seek professional advice.
When going to doctors, they will assess whether people’s bodies are in the right condition to perform weight-loss. At the same time, health and thinking about weight-loss using such a limited program is appropriate or not. Most health care providers today would discourage breastfeeding women from following such restrictive weight-loss diet plans. Therefore, pregnant women should not try to lose weight, but wait for the period after giving birth and breastfeeding.
Can you use a liquid diet for detox?
Detox diets have become quite popular these days. The reason is that the demand for dieters with the aim of detoxing to lose weight is increasing. Although dieters believe that the diet helps to cleanse the body of toxins to promote weight-loss. But with experts, they admit that is not the case.
Related: 7 Day Juice Cleanse Plan: Pros, Cons and What You Can Eat
Other results, experts say that detox diets are not necessary to apply because the human body can completely control the detoxification process on its own. They have shown that the body is constantly eliminating toxic substances without being triggered by any diet. This process has been regulated by many organs in the human body including the kidneys, skin and even the liver. This means that the 30-day liquid weight loss diet plan may not be necessary to trigger the detox process as is commonly believed. (6)
Currently, there are many dietary methods that are studied to serve the needs of people to lose weight. Each method will have its own advantages and limitations that need attention. When following the 30 day liquid diet weight loss plan below, you will achieve the desired result. The information shared above will have things to keep in mind that people should not ignore when losing weight on a liquid diet.
Don’t forget to find out more Diet plans and Recipes on Kerriannjennings.com
(1) Full liquid diet (medlineplus.gov)
(2) How Many Calories Should You Eat Per Day to Lose Weight? (healthline.com)
(3) Clear liquid diet: What you need to know (medicalnewstoday.com)
(4) Rapid Weight Loss (webmd.com)
(5) Losing Weight (cdc.gov)
(6) Detox diets for toxin elimination and weight management (nih.gov)